Dec 29, 2009

Review | Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters and Jane Austen

Title: Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Jane Austen and Ben H. Winters
Series: N/A
Genre: Fiction - Fantasy/Humor
Publication: September 15, 2009 by Quirk Books
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher for review
Rating: ★★

Synopsis: Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters expands the original text of the beloved Jane Austen novel with all-new scenes of giant lobsters, rampaging octopi, two-headed sea serpents, and other biological monstrosities.
As our story opens, the Dashwood sisters are evicted from their childhood home and sent to live on a mysterious island full of savage creatures and dark secrets. While sensible Elinor falls in love with Edward Ferrars, her romantic sister Marianne is courted by both the handsome Willoughby and the hideous man-monster Colonel Brandon.
Can the Dashwood sisters triumph over meddlesome matriarchs and unscrupulous rogues to find true love? Or will they fall prey to the tentacles that are forever snapping at their heels?
This masterful portrait of Regency England blends Jane Austen’s biting social commentary with ultraviolent depictions of sea monsters biting. It’s survival of the fittest—and only the swiftest swimmers will find true love!

Thoughts: This novel takes Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility and adds extra content and chapters with sea monsters that include scary lobsters, man-eating clams, giant octopi and even cities in giant underwater domes.

First off, I wanted to say that this book was better done than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. There were a lot more monsters in this one than there zombies in the first one which was the main reason why I accepted this book. I was surprised at how much more content there was and that was definitely better.

The novel is smooth and fits well with the original story with alterations that only make the story more enjoyable. Most changes took place in the different settings, but there were also a few physical changes in the characters which I very much enjoyed and sometimes a little surprised about.

Compared to the first one, this one was a lot more enjoyable, the gore and blood still similar and sometimes silly even a bit funny at times. There were also illustrations like in the first one which added to the story and I enjoyed looking at.

I must admit I liked the novel, but still not as much as I had hoped I would. This would probably enjoyed more by people who liked the original S&S, but I am not sure if others would enjoy it much.

5 comments

  1. Ooh, I'll have to try this even though I've never read anything like this before. But your review has me sold!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, and from your review, I have a feeling I will love this novel more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved P&P&Z, can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read Sense and Sensibility yet so I have not read this one. I need to get a move on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could never get into her books... and I keep debating on this one because of the monsters thing but... I don't know... =/

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.