Feb 24, 2010

Review | Evernight by Claudia Gray

Title: Evernight by Claudia Gray
Series: Evernight, #1
Genre: YA - Paranormal
Publication: February 10, 2009 by HarperTeen
Format: Paperback
Source: Borrowed
Rating: ★★

Synopsis: Bianca wants to escape.

At the eerily Gothic Evernight Academy, the other students are sleek, smart, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

When she meets handsome, brooding Lucas, he warns her to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him. But the connection between them can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.


Thoughts: Honestly, I did not like this book. I gave it two stars though, because I felt the attempt the author made to make this a unique and original vampire book was worth an extra star. I guess I am just nice that way :) But there were too many things that bothered me about the book altogether that has me doubting if I will really want to read the rest of the books in this series

For one thing, the characters annoyed me immensely. Bianca especially because I thought she was silly and an idiot the whole time. First of all, her relationship with Lucas bugged the hell out of me and there wasn't a single time where I thought he might be worth the effort. I pretty much disliked everyone else, except for maybe Balthazar, who also sometimes got a bit annoying too with his whole I-hate-being-a-vampire-self.

The second thing that really bothered me was the ridiculous plot twist in the middle. It threw me off completely and not in that cool sort of way where you suddenly can't put the book down because it got so good; more in what seemed like the author changed her mind halfway through the book and decided not the edit what she had previously written to match the rest of the book. It was strange.

I'm not one to bash a book, really. I'll just stop here. For the first half of the book, I just wanted to smack Bianca. And for the rest of it, I was just really hoping that it would get better, but for me, it didn't. I think I will eventually decide to give book two a try, just to see if I was maybe just crazy. I just really hope I enjoy it better.

3 comments

  1. Great and honest review, that's what I like! I'm sorry you didn't like the book! I am not giving this series a try, after all there are too many great ones out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one and Stargazer back to back- that probably helped. I'm invested in the plot now so I will keep reading although I admit, I agree with some of your points. If I didnt have the second one already available, I probably wouldnt have kept going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review! I enjoyed this at a three star rating; enough to keep me going to the sequel.

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.