Feb 9, 2010

Review | Wings by Aprilynne Pike


Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.



Thoughts: Being a newbie to the faerie genre, I was a bit surprised that I enjoyed this more than what I originally expected. I had read one book previously about fey(?), and I was really iffy on the whole genre afterwards, but this completely changed my mind.

From the beginning, I found the book very enjoyable. I've read a few other reviews that complain on the beginning being too much like a "fairy tale" but I thought it was perfect. After all, it is about faeries.

I really liked Laurel, and I know she was a little too perfect, but she is someone I would love as a friend. I enjoyed her relationship with her parents and the friendship she had with David. I loved all the characters really and I am already torn between the love triangle that began to form in this first book (out of four!).

It is a great book to start off with if you haven't read any other faerie books because it gives a lot of background information if you don't know anything, but doesn't overwhelm you with too much. The story is great, with lots going on to keep it interesting throughout the book, and provides enough to explain how the faerie world works. I can't wait for the next book :)

NOTE: Some blogger have noticed that after I changed my URL, they no longer receive updates on their list. I do not know how to fix this, except to remove yourself as a follower and then follow again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

4 comments

  1. Thanks for the thoughts. I always see reviews, etc on faerie books and I'm like oh cool... but I just can't get into fairies. I dunno why. They just aren't my thing =P I've got 2 faerie books on my shelf that have been there for... um... a long time... =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about this one...and I really want to read it. I'm also new to the whole faerie thing, but it's beginning to interest me! And I think I'll start with this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this book. I can't wait for the next book.

    So you leaning on David or Tamani?

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.