Jul 22, 2010

Review | Two Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt

Title: Two Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt
Series: N/A
Genre: Young Adult - Contemporary
Publication: June 26, 2007 by Simon Pulse
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Rating: ★★★

Synopsis: There are two sides to every breakup. This is Jordan and Courtney, totally in love. Sure, they were an unlikely high school couple. But they clicked; it worked. They're even going to the same college, and driving cross-country together for orientation. Then Jordan dumps Courtney -- for a girl he met on the Internet. It's too late to change plans, so the road trip is on. Courtney's heartbroken, but figures she can tough it out for a few days. La la la -- this is Courtney pretending not to care. But in a strange twist, Jordan cares. A lot. Turns out, he's got a secret or two that he's not telling Courtney. And it has everything to do with why they broke up, why they can't get back together, and how, in spite of it all, this couple is destined for each other.

Thoughts: I thought this book sounded really interesting when I first heard of it. I mean how many times have we come across a situation were we meet up with an ex-boyfriend/ex-girlfriend and we pretend not to care? So it sounded like something I could connect with you know? I was really excited to read this.

The story jumps from past and present, from when Jordan and Courtney meet and get together, to after they've broken up and need to go on the dreaded trip. It also switches from both Jordan and Courtney's points of views and I really liked that I was able to get the entire both sides of the story and was also able to learn more about both of them. The only problem I had with this though was that they both sounded similar. I mean, sure Jordan was a guy and used more profanity and talked about "guy things" but the voice sounded similar to Courtney. Just the way their thoughts processed seemed the same and I didn't like that too much.The other characters were very outrageous and pretty funny, reminding me of people I know and I was able to enjoy their part in the story as well.

The story was cute, and although I've read many books with break-ups, this break-up was quite different. There was a bit of mystery in the plot because of everything Jordan is hiding and the way the author lets us find out throughout the book how everything really happened, sort of adds some suspense.

Overall, I think this is a very cute young love story that many YA readers out there might enjoy. I know that there a few others books coming out by this author and I really want to read more by her.

4 comments

  1. Hey, thanks for the review. It sounds like something I'd be curious enough to start. I've read a lot of differing opinions on this book but I think I'm gonna give it a go soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I bought this book a few weeks ago but haven't had the chance to read it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! not really my kinda book though...

    Thanks for stopping by my blog =)

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.