May 20, 2009

Review | Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Tally had finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted. But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom- is a nagging sense that somethings wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold. Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life--because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.

When I read the first book of the Uglies trilogy a few months back, I really enjoyed it. I was captivated by the story, the way the characters were and the way the whole book evolved. When Tally made her decision to be pretty at the end, I was pretty surprised. Even though I really enjoyed the first one, this one disappointed me a little. From the beginning, Tally's confusion of being pretty and her foggy past bothered me. I didn't get used to the "pretty talk" and it was annoying at times. The story all together seemed to be a little mixed up. It wasn't until about half way that I think it started to pick up and I was able to read the last hundred or so pages rather quickly. But even in the end, the situations were similar to those of the first book, a bit redundant, making me want to skim through the book instead. I don't think the ending was too satisfying, but since it was sort of a cliff hanger, I was left with a small urge to read the third one to see how it all ends.

_____________________________________


3 comments

  1. It does take a while to get into, but when you do its so absorbing! Loved that book:-D
    -AMY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh...you just keep adding more and more books to my list of books that I must get my hands on. hehehehe...=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to read that trilogy for a while :) It seems like a good read.

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.