Apr 19, 2010

Review | Pride & Prejudice & Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith

Title: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith
Series: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies #0.5
Genre: Fiction/Horror
Publication: March 1, 2010 by Quirk Books
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher
Rating: ★★★

Synopsis: In this terrifying and hilarious prequel, we witness the genesis of the zombie plague in early-nineteenth-century England. We watch Elizabeth Bennet evolve from a naïve young teenager into a savage slayer of the undead. We laugh as she begins her first clumsy training with nunchucks and katana swords and cry when her first blush with romance goes tragically awry. Written by acclaimed novelist (and Edgar Award nominee) Steve Hockensmith, Dawn of the Dreadfuls invites Austen fans to step back into Regency England, Land of the Undead!

Thoughts: When I read the first PP&Z, I was really excited because it had both zombies and Austen and I thought, "What a fantastic combination!" Wrong. I was a bit hesitant to get SS&SM, but that one was a bit better. Barely. So I was definitely unsure about D of D and really was not going to accept a copy. I thought it over quite a bit and then decided to give it a try.

I was surprised to find this one to be better than the last two. Sure, it's still based on Austen's original work, Pride and Prejudice, but Hockensmith created a whole different plot. It was so much better than the last two attempts to recreate Austen's work and although the author kept the same characters, the story was something new and unique.

I have always like Elizabeth Bennet, and watching her learn and struggle in her attempt to slay zombies was quite humorous. Most of the original characters were present or mentioned, but a whole new cast of characters were introduced that made this book stand out more than the other two. The differences in this book from the original P&P made it a lot better and I was able to enjoy it as a standalone.

I would recommend this book to anyone who's been curious about these monster books, and still hasn't given them a chance. I suggest you try this one first and then maybe give the other two a shot, although I do not think they're very good. I'm sure anyone who enjoyed PP&Z and SS&SM will also enjoy this one as well.

3 comments

  1. Interesting review.... though I admit, this one just doesn't catch my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review...I would love to read a mash-up of a classic someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my friends has read the first one who came out, and told me it was kind of funny. I don't know if I am going to try this book, but you have a written a great review for it. I rather read the orignials one over and over again. :)

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.