Jun 12, 2009

Review | The Host by Stephenie Meyer


Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed.
Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.
Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves-Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.
Featuring what may be the first love triangle involving only two bodies, The Host is a riveting and unforgettable novel that will bring a vast new readership to one of the most compelling writers of our time


Thoughts: Where to start? I was completely unsure of this book. I got it, looked at it and put on the pile of TBR books I have on my desk. I didn't touch it for three weeks, and since it was a book I borrowed from the library, I tried to renew it a few days before it was due. I couldn't, so now what? I set all other books aside and started it, not really sure if I really wanted to read it all.

Now, I've read a few reviews on this book, and they seem to say 'ehh, it was good, but not too enjoyable' and all I wanna say is 'what? are you crazy? this book was awesome!' but I won't because everyone has they're opinion.

When I first read the inside flap of the book, I expected an evil alien invasion kind of book, but its not like that. The "souls" as they call themselves on Earth, have quietly and non-aggressively conquered the earth. The soul we follow is Wanderer, a kind and pacifist soul that has lived on nine planets, a record for her kind. Melanie, is the human host she has been given. Confused over being able to hear and feel Melanie, Wanderer fears that she will eventually take control over her. Instead, they form a special bond, and start the search of the people they love, and are able to learn how to live life together.

At first, I was confused; I had no idea what was going on and the beginning frustrated me. I didn't understand what was happening and I desperately wanted explanations. It wasn't until about half-way through the book that I started to really get into it. Once I got halfway, I could not put it down. It felt like a roller coaster, everything happening, one exciting and fearful event after the next. And as the book got closer to the ending, I really wasn't sure how it would end, and I was dreading it. The last about 100 pages made me cry, tears streaming down my face. The way it was written made me feel like it was me, in my head, like I was there and so I got really emotional as always.

I love Meyer's writing style. I know its complained about a lot, and her characters aren't liked much, but I love them. Since I first read Twilight, I fell in love with her writing. I think she is a great storyteller, and as her first adult novel, I think she went above and beyond than with the Twilight series. I really loved this book, I would definitely read it again, and I probably loved it more than the Twilight series. I've already heard rumors of there being a sequel and possibly a series for this book and I must say I was a tad disappointed. I did read this to jump the band wagon, but I was hoping this wouldn't be another Twilight fanatic kind of book. But I'd probably read them also...

3 comments

  1. The Host is such an incredible and underrated book. It's got the same captivating quality as Twilight, yet the latter receives all the attention. Nonetheless, glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...what a fun picture of you guys. Tell your bff I said congrats on his graduation! woohoo. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl cant find your email addy and you are my second winner for my contest so email me everydaysoap@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.