Sep 26, 2009

Review | And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie


First there were ten - a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to any of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal - and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder, and one by one they begin to fall prey to an unseen hand. As the only people on the island, unable to leave and unable to call for help, they know that the only possible suspects are among their number. And only the dead are above suspicion.

Thoughts: The last mystery book I read, was about twelve years ago, and it was the Two Minute Mysteries. Even though I loved that book, I've always avoided the mystery section at the library and at bookstores. This book, I happened to pick up because it came along with the computer game. I never got to play the game, because I wanted to read the book first, and I just got to the book after its sat on my shelf for about 2+ years.

So finally picking it up, I was surprised on how wonderfully good this book was. It was a quick paced, and nail-biting story that had me turning every page quickly to find out more. Up until the end I was at a loss to who the murderer truly was, and that just made it so much the better.

Following the Ten Little Indians children tale, each person on the island begins to die the same way as each of the Indians. One of them must be the murderer, but who? There was no one to trust, and going crazy awaiting the next ones death.

I loved the plot, the simple yet captivating writing style, and the suspense in every page. Agatha Christie writes a thrilling and short story that all mystery lovers must read, and even non-mystery lovers like me. I will definitely pick up another one of her books in the near future!

1 comment

  1. And Then There Were None is my absolute favorite mystery novel. My freshman year English teacher assigned it and it's the book that made me realize reading could be fun instead of work. Glad you liked it.

    Jennifer @ Reading with Tequila

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.