Jan 28, 2010

Review | Leftovers by Laura Wiess



Blair and Ardith are best friends who have committed an unforgivable act in the name of love and justice. But in order to understand what could drive two young women to such extreme measures, first you'll have to understand why. You'll have to listen as they describe parents who are alternately absent and smothering, classmates who mock and shun anyone different, and young men who are allowed to hurt and dominate without consequence. You will have to learn what it's like to be a teenage girl who locks her bedroom door at night, who has been written off by the adults around her as damaged goods. A girl who has no one to trust except the one person she's forbidden to see. You'll have to understand what it's really like to be forgotten and abandoned in America today.
Are you ready?


Thoughts: I thought this book was fantastic.

I've read Wiess' Such a Pretty Girl. I remember I read it when I was a cashier at a big department store and it was a slow day. I remember I was done with it before my shift was over. I remember it was great. So I needed to read this one too.

From the first page, its intense and completely captivating. I couldn't put it down, and while I had no idea where it is going, I needed to find out. It is written in alternating points of view, as both Ardith and Blair describe the events that lead farther into the story until it heads to their final, desperate act.


I love the way it was written, with enough information to keep me hooked, but not enough to reveal what would happen next. I was caught by surprise with every turn of the page, and was witness to how both girls were forced to change and grow up from innocent and naive, to disturbed and angry.

The ending is not predictable but yet I got a sense that I somehow knew it was coming all along. It was brilliant, intense and scary because it left me feeling that it was possibly the "right" thing after all.

This book is a dramatic and disturbing story of two girls who are pushed to the edge, and it will keep you turning pages until the end. I would definitely recommend this book to older YA readers, and adults.

12 comments

  1. Wow! This book sounds really good. I like the simplicity of the cover. The story sounds intense. I definitely need to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review and love when books are told with multiple view points.

    I recently read Such a Pretty Girl and said I will read all of Laura Wiess books this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been curious about this one for a while now. So thanks for the great review! It sounds really fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I really need to read this book. Great review! I LOVED such a pretty girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Laura Wiess. I still have to read Such A Pretty Girl. I'm glad you liked that one as well. This book is incredible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one, your review has made me want to pick it up even more - WOW...So you dont need to read her other book first right? I have that one coming but it's not here yet LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review. I too have read Such a Pretty Girl and enjoyed it. I'll have to pick this one up. If you haven't read it already you should try Elizabeth Scott's Living Dead Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book, as you know. Laura's writing is just astounding- she is a master with the raw emotion. This one was my favorite of her three... and I agree- things felt oddly justified and vindicated at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, this does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing. I've heard of Laura Weiss and I can already tell that I'll like her books. Thanks for your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard of this book, or the author, but you've definitely piqued my interest. I'm going to see if my library has this book.

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.