Mar 29, 2010

Review | Goth Girl Rising by Barry Lyga

After six months in the Maryland Mental Health Unit, Kyra Sellers, a.k.a. Goth Girl, is going home. Unfortunately, she's about to find out that while she was away, she lost track of more than time. Kyra is back in black, feeling good, and ready to make up with the only person who's ever appreciated her for who she really is. But then she sees him. Fanboy. Transcended from everything he was into someone she barely recognizes. And the anger and memories come rushing back.

Thoughts: I was happily surprised to find out that The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl had a second book since the first book left me wanting more. It has also been one of my favorite reads of the year, so I was excited to read this one.

This book is through Kyra a.k.a. Goth Girl's POV instead of Fanboy, and six months have passed since the ending of TAAFGG. I have to admit that Kyra can be tough character to like sometimes because of her attitude, but I think she's great. Lyga created this foul-mouthed, badass, emotionally unstable girl who thinks and talks like some girls today and I really liked that I was finally able to know what she was thinking.

Although Kyra is great, what bothered me most about the book was the absence of Fanboy. He was there, but mostly in Kyra's thoughts. His character didn't show up as much in the book as I would've wanted to, and one of the best scenes that really has them together is towards the end. I was a bit sad to see it end and not have heard from him much. I did miss him even though I liked Kyra.

I enjoyed this book, but not as much as the first one. There were a few times that Kyra just frustrated me, and again, I was disappointed that Fanboy wasn't around.I would recommend reading TAAFGG first, but this book can also be read on its own since Lyga adds enough background information so that you aren't completely lost. I would recommend everyone to give this a try, but there is some rough dialogue and some sexual references.

Favorite Line: "Life isn't perfect. Hell, life is shit most of the time. But it's my life. I get to do what I want with it."

This book was provided by the local library.

2 comments

  1. This book looks kind of weird (judging from the cover because that's how I roll)...

    nice review though :) might give it a chance, I saw it at my school's library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that there was a sequel to Fanboy/Goth Girl. Which means that when I finally get around to reading it I'll have to pick this one up too ;). Cover is kind of creepy, though.

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.