Mar 3, 2011

Review | A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

Title: A Walk to Remember
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Genre: Fiction, Contemporary Romance
Publication: 09.04.2004 by Warner Books
Pages: 224 (4 CD's)
Source: Library

Summary: There was a time when the world was sweeter....when the women in Beaufort, North Carolina, wore dresses, and the men donned hats.... Every April, when the wind smells of both the sea and lilacs, Landon Carter remembers 1958, his last year at Beaufort High. Landon had dated a girl or two, and even once sworn that he'd been in love. Certainly the last person he thought he'd fall for was Jamie, the shy, almost ethereal daughter of the town's Baptist minister....Jamie, who was destined to show him the depths of the human heart-and the joy and pain of living.

Cover: It's a simple cover, but I don't think it really captures the story.

Thoughts: I wasn't sure if I really wanted to read it. I saw the movie once, several years ago, so I knew what it was about, how it would come along and how it would end. I liked the movie, but haven't watched it in years. The book, well, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. I've read two other of Nicholas Sparks novels, The Notebook and Dear John. I loved "The Notebook" movie, didn't like the book. Loved Dear John, didn't like the movie. So here I was, trying to decide if I really wanted to give it a try. I picked up the audio book from the library, and it was read by the author, so I thought was kind of nice.

It started off simple, like Sparks' other books, and the story continued its way slowly through the first few discs. What I've loved about Sparks' books are the simplicity, the calmness they seem to be told in, like someone who has lived many years and is in no rush anymore to get anywhere. I love the pace, although there are some out there that might find it a little boring.

I liked the characters right off. Landon and Jamie, they seemed perfect. And all the other additional characters added a lot more to the story. I really thought Landon was a sweetheart and although he was a little mean at times, he wasn't cruel like he played off in the movies. Jamie was another story. Boy, was she nicest person ever. Really, there is no reason not to like her, and in the movie she was sort of an outcast. In the book she is too but she is such a nice person it's easy to understand why so many people cared about her.

The story takes place in the 1950's, which is quite a difference from the movie, and I liked that a whole lot. It gave the story a more real feel and I really was able to follow through everything perfectly even though it was from a different time. The author does a great job describing the town they lived in, the way they looked and the kind of environment they were surrounded by. It was really a great descriptive book.

Overall, I must say I really loved it. It made me laugh and it made me cry, just as was expected. A Walk to Remember is a sweet story with simple, lovable characters and heartwarming ending that will leave you in tears.

Favorite Quote: "Knowing there's one thing I still haven't told you: I now believe, by the way, that miracles can happen."

2 comments

  1. Oh man, you review reminded me why I fell in love with the book. Really the Notebook Book isn't good? It's why I never read it after watching the movie I couldn't bring myself to read it at the thought of being let down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds really good, I am not normally one for Sparks but I would consider reading this one.

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.