Jul 11, 2011

Review | Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Title: Delirium
Series: Delirium #1
Author: Lauren Oliver
Genre: YA - Dystopian
Published: 02.01.2011 by HarperTeen
Pages: 441
Source: Library

Summary: Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
Cover: I love it. It's one of my favorite colors because of the color, the image and the beautiful writing.

Thoughts: I was really interested in what Delirium would be like. I'd heard great things about if from other bloggers, and I love dystopian novels, so I was sure I would enjoy it. I didn't expect to love it as much as I did and now I must patiently await the second novel in the series, because I want to find out what will happen next.

Lena lives in a world where love is a disease. At the age eighteen, everyone is cured, matched and married off to their partner to lead a normal, love-free and cured life. Lena anxiously counts down the days to when she will finally be cured, and can finally move beyond the past she has been haunted with all her life. Then, Lena meets Alex, a cured young man who causes a deep impression on Lena. After several encounters, Lena and Alex fall in love, and together they discover how to live in a world where feelings are forbidden and where love is the greatest danger.

I had a hard time liking Lena at first, because she was so brainwashed, following rules, never questioning her life and hoping to be cured as quickly as possible. Her best friend, Hanna, is the opposite and actually doesn't mind bending the rules every now and again. Their friendship has developed over many years, so when Hanna decides to sneak out to a party, Lena feels like she has no choice but to try and save her. Not only does Lena do the unthinkable, and sneak out, but she agrees to meet Alex the next day. And that is where Lena's life begins to change. Small lies, sneaking out, secret messages and hideouts begin to form Lena's new life and she begins to come alive. Quickly, she finds herself in love with Alex, a sweet and lovable character who cares, respects and appreciates Lena as a woman.

The first part of the book moves along a little slowly, introducing us to this new world without love. Not only does love between marriages not exist, but parents do not love their children, friends do not care to spend time with one another and people just live practically without any feelings. There are no hobbies to enjoy, no foods to savor, no music to love. Oliver was able to shape such a enthralling world devoid of any emotions, that I could not help but be sucked into the story. As the story unfolds, the pace quickens and we are able to enjoy the blossoming relationship between Lena and Alex. But we know that cannot last forever; the days for Lena's cure is coming quickly and somehow they must find a way to change what will happen or be cured of the love they have learned to live with.

I loved how Lena changes throughout the book, how different her thoughts are in the end compared to the beginning. I was a little disappointed in Hanna though, because I wanted her to remain a brave rebel as well. The ending and everything leading to it was so intense I could not put the book down. I was afraid of what would happen next and the ending left me shocked. It is such an unbelievable ending, such a cliffhanger that it will leave you speechless. Even after you have finished the book, you will be thinking of it for days, trying to wrap your mind around it all.

This is definitely a must-read for YA lovers, and dystopian lovers. Delirium is an engaging, intense and beautiful story about forbidden love and what one young girl will go through to keep the love she has found alive.
Favorite Quote: "...life isn't life if you just float through it."

5 comments

  1. I loved Before I Fall, so I've been itching to get my hands on this one. Glad you liked it!

    -Kelsey
    www.kelseysutton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing review, Cindy :) I have this sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read... I'm definitely going to read this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I was stunned by the cliffhanger too! Can't believe we have to wait so long to find out what happens. I seriously hope there was no brainwashing for Alex or Hanna...though I don't think I'm going to get my wish...I hear book 2 spends a lot of time in the wilds...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Review! I still need to pick up a copy of this book...I've been seeing it everywhere! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. This book souns amazing. Because of the hype around it I still haven't read it. ;) Now I really want too.

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.