Oct 8, 2011

Author Event | Orange County Book Festival

Last Sunday was the Orange County Children's Book Festival in Costa Mesa, an event that takes place every year. It was my first time learning of this event, so I was pretty excited to go because there were going to be so many awesome authors there. My brother  came along with me and it was a really hot day, so within a few minutes of getting there, we were burning up! We got there a little later than I wanted to, but it was okay, although I did miss seeing Lisi Harrison again. I did catch her signing some books later though, but I just walked by.


The first thing we did was find the booth where I could donate books. For each 2 books, I got a $2 off coupon for the booths. I only had a few books to donate though. Aftewards, we made our way back to the YA stage because the "Keeping it Real" Panel was up, which consisted of Jessi Kirby (author of Moonglass), Lindsey Leavitt (author of Sean Griswold's Head), Kirsten Hubbard (author of Like Mandarin) and Andrew Smith (author of The Marbury Lens). They talked for a little while about their books and answered questions from the audience, then went to the side for signing.



The Mysterious Galaxy store had a booth set up with all the books of the authors that were going to be there today and were setting up the area for the author's signing. I hustled over there, and bought Like Mandarin and The Marbury Lens. I didn't take my copy of Moonglass because it was already signed, and I didn't get a chance to buy a copy of Sean Griswold's Head. But I did get a few pictures with the author's and I chatted with them for a tiny bit.


I didn't get a chance to talk to Andrew Smith, but my brother got my copy of his book signed for me, so I was happy :) Next on the stage were Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan, authors of Spoiled, followed by DJ MacHale, author of The Monster Princess, and Kailin Gaw, author of the new series The Fire Wars, but we headed to the Main Stage because Molly Shannon was supposed to show up around that time. We waited for a little while, but she didn't show up and growing restless and too hot to stand around waiting, we got ourselves some ice cream and headed back to the YA stage. By then, Kailin Gaw was finishing up her reading of her book, and Kami Garcia was up next. I managed to get a seat in the front and was really excited to see her. She read a little from Beautiful Chaos (Beautiful Creatures, Book 3) then answered some questions before the signing. She was super nice! She had her two children with her and they were helping her out with handing out the bookmarks and bracelets she was giving fans out. She noticed that my copy of Beautiful Creatures was a first edition too, and I felt a wee bit special :)

 

 After getting my books signed, I once again, returned to the stage. I left my brother there while I went to meet Kami, so I still had my spot up front. The "Paranormal Tendencies" panel was next and the authors Emma Michael's (The Thirteenth Chime), Inara Scott (The Candidates), Cindy Pon (Silver Phoenix), Jeff Mariotte (Dark Vengeance Vol. 1: Summer, Fall,) and Gretchen McNeil (Possess). I didn't get to meet any of them afterwards though, but got to see Hope Larson, author of Mercury, and Lisa Desrochers. Lisa read from her third book in the Personal Demons series (gasp!) instead of the second one, so I am really interested in reading those books.


I also got a chance to meet Katie Alender, author of Bad Girls Don't Die and Heather Brewer, author of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, who also happened to be the last author we waited for.




It was a great day and I had so much fun, despite the heat. I loved meeting each author and also can't wait to read the books I picked up! Also, I can't wait for next year :)

3 comments

  1. Wow, it looks like a lot of fun. Costa Mesa isn't too far away from me but I was busy last weekend so I couldn't get to it. Man, I need to make sure that I'm there next year though.

    Thanks for sharing your experience and for the pics, they're pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I'm so jelly :( I wish I could have gone! I'm glad to see you had an awesome time though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a great event! I so want to come to the next event!!!

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.