Aug 6, 2012

Review | Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Volume 1

Title: Twilight: The Graphic Novel
Series: Twilight: The Graphic Novel #1
Story and Art: Stephanie Meyer and Kim Young
Art Rating: ★★★★
Story Rating: ★★★

Synopsis: When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret...

I know that this one isn't manga, but I read this a while a back and hadn't had the chance to review it, and since it is a graphic novel, I decided it should work. There isn't much to explain or say about Twilight: TGN, especially if you have read the books, seen the movies, or pretty much know the story of Bella and Edward.

This was a good adaptation that included the main scenes of the first half of Twilight. While it comes off a little vague, especially for someone who hasn't read the book, I found it to be straight forward and just a reminder of what happens in Twilight.


The art made this book for me because it was so pretty. It is in black and white, but it has some color in it which makes specific scenes stand out. While the dialogue doesn't really explain nearly half of what happens in the actual book, I was entertained by looking at the drawings alone.

I do want to look at the next books in the series, for the art pretty much. I already know the story and I did love it at one point, but I probably won't be re-reading it, so this offers a fun alternative.

11 comments

  1. This is definitely one of the better graphic novel adaptations of a book. I actually liked this more than the book itself and I will definitely continue with it. And I loved seeing sparkly Edward in here!

    This is a fun meme. What other manga/graphic novels have you read and loved?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, Edward did look pretty nice all sparkly :D


    I actually haven't read too many manga; I just started. I've read FLCL in the past, but am working through the Boys Over Flowers series right now, which is pretty enjoyable.


    I have read more graphic novels though, some of my favorite being The Walking Dead and 100 Bullets series, which I liked more for the story than the art.


    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this at the bookstore a couple of months ago, but, never thought I would like it. I asked this another blogger, but have you read Kimi Ni Todoke? I want to buy the first three books in the series for my best friend, but I'm not sure if it's a fun one to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimi ni Todoke is an ADORABLE story! The early parts of it are especially great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I read Twilight, and I like Graphic Novels, but I think I'd be sad to read this and see so much of the story cut out. The artwork does look gorgeous though, which is a really nice redeeming quality.


    Rywn @ Book Brats

    ReplyDelete
  6. The art is so pretty!! I've never actually read a book-turned-graphic novel, but I'll have to if they have good art like this :)


    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't, but I looked it up and it sounds really good! Thanks for unintentionally putting it on my radar, I've added it to my TBR list and requested it from my library :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I avoided this one not because I didn't like "Twilight" I do, but I was a bit overwhelmed by the popularity of it all. I also am sad that they cut a lot of the story away from it. Sounds like it was written specifically for fans of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to agree and say the art for this book is beautiful. I don't own it because I am not a Twilight fan but I did flip through it in the book store and it is lovely to look at.If it was an art book for the series just filled with pretty pictures I probably would have bought it just to stare at it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this a while ago and loved it! Now i want to read volume 2.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought this was manga, at least in the drawing style. I adored the drawing. It was pure art. The storyline would be very confusing if you haven't read the book, but imagine most readers have.

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.