Apr 24, 2013

Review | The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Series: N/A
Genre: YA - Contemporary
Publication: 01.10.2012 by Dutton Books
Format: Hardcover
Source: Purchased
Rating: 

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities."

This is the first book in a long time that has made me feel like ASKJA!!AWKIRHAIG♥A!!♥♥! It makes all those mediocre/bad books I've read recently completely worth it. What else can I say that you haven't already read elsewhere? Nothing. You've probably read it all. Simply put: this book is awesome. It made me feel; I laughed and I cried. Oh, how I cried. And when I finished it, I looked at life a little different.

This was my first John Green book and to be completely honest, I am glad I waited. I waited for several of his books to be released, and for the hype to be over when this one was released, and then I waited some more. And when I read this, it was perfect. Like many others, I read this book rather quickly and I even skipped my morning class one day so I could finish it. It finally makes sense why everyone always recommended John Green.

Hazel and Augustus are a perfect pair and I loved them. They are both witty and intelligent, and best of all real. Obviously they are both fictional characters, but they feel real. Hazel is so strong, and Augustus is completely honest and awkward. I adored them both.

I also can't not mention everyone else in this book: Isaac (Augustus best friend,) Augustus' parents, Hazel's parents, and of course, Van Houten and Lidewij. They are all such an important part of this story that makes it all the more real.

When I came to the last page of this book, I turned it expecting more. And there wasn't anything more. So I closed the book, I laid in bed and cried. I cried because it was so beautiful. I cried because I was done with it and it was so unfair. But what else can you expect from a cancer book? Yes, it is a book about cancer. But there is so much more than just that. It is unlike anything I have ever read and I will treasure it forever.

Seriously, nothing I write can explain how much this book touched my heart. If you haven't read it, make sure you do. This book needs to be a part of your life too.

Psst: I loved this book so much I am giving away a copy of it here

6 comments

  1. I read TFIOS a few months ago and couldn't exactly review it either, I didn't want to give the story away and then there was nothing I could write that hadn't been expressed in a million other reviews. I loved it though. I've thought about re-reading it but that may be too depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! This book is perfection and I cried so so much about it. Sigh:( I have the infinity quote in a picture frame on my wall. I adore this book:) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone is in love with this book, but I read it, and honestly, it was fine. I agree that Hazel and August are just amazing, witty characters as well! I'm glad you loved it, and it's great that you were able to look at life in a different way b/c of it :)

    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I read The Fault In Our Stars last December 'cause I also wanted for the hype to be over. It has been the most amazing thing ever. This book is just perfection and I'm glad they are making a movie of it (even though nothing can top that writing!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I felt the same way about the book! I couldn't stop reading!

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.