Oct 12, 2015

Review | All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven


Title: All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
Series: N/A
Genre: YA - Contemporary
Publication: January 6th 2015 by Knopf
Format: Audiobook
Source: Audible
Rating: ★★★★★

Synopsis: Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

This is an intense, gripping novel perfect for fans of Jay Asher, Rainbow Rowell, John Green, Gayle Forman, and Jenny Downham from a talented new voice in YA, Jennifer Niven.


"But I bring it up to let you know this is the way I feel right now. Like Pluto and Jupiter are aligned and I'm floating."

Thoughts: This book tore at my heart and made me feel feels that I hadn't felt in a long time. I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I chose this book, I just recognized the title as something that was popular among book bloggers, so I just downloaded it.

All the Bright Places is one of those books I wish I could hug and I am really sad I didn't read this (I listened to an audiobook version of it.) Only reading it would I have been able to hold something and cry my eyes out and feel everything. Instead, I listened to those last painful chapters while working a late shift at work with my co-workers around me, and without being able to just let it all consume me. I will definitely be re-reading this one in the near future. I already have an ebook copy waiting for me.

All the Bright Places brought so many memories for me, many painful and many beautiful. I had my own Finch once, someone real and different who was searching for something and in the end only found the darkness. Listening to this story made my heart ache. I really didn't want it to end the way it did, or even expect it, but one is never ready for those kinds of things. This is definitely going on my all-time favorites shelf

1 comment

  1. Cindy, you've totally convinced me to read All The Bright Places ASAP! I'm such a sucker for heartbreaking books. I love books that make me feel and make me cry. I'm so glad you found an all-time favorite story in this one!

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.