Nov 18, 2017

Short Story Saturday | Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar


This feature was created by Lauren from 365 Days of Reading


Title: Gwendy's Button Box by Richard Chizmar and Stephen King
Anthology: N/A - Novella
Rating: ★★★

One Line Summary: Gwendy meets a strange man in a black hat who knows too much about her life and gives her a small, but powerful button box.

Thoughts: A little under 200 pages, I was able to finish this in one sitting. Gwendy's Button Box is a collaboration between Stephen King and Richard Chizmar, and it follows our protagonist Gwendy after she meets the man in a black hat, who gives her a button box. The short novella spans over a few years, and we get to see how the box affects Gwendy's life.

I can't deny that the story was entertaining, if not mysterious and a little creepy, too. But when it was over, I felt like I didn't get it. Like I missed the underlying message that was supposed to come across and I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Its possible that I felt the conclusion lacked a bit, but I think I only think I feel that way because I've recently read that Chizmar finished off the story, not King.

Honestly, I don't know what to think of it. It made me feel something, and I was able to start and finish it in a short time so I was intrigued. I didn't think it was the best story out there, but still something about it has kept it in my mind since I finished it.

Post a Comment

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.