Dec 8, 2017

Review | The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee


Title:  The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee
Series: Guide #1
Genre: YA - Historical Fiction
Publication: June 27, 2017 by Katherine Tegen Books
Format: Audiobook
Source: Library
Rating: ★★★★★

Synopsis: Henry “Monty” Montague was born and bred to be a gentleman, but he was never one to be tamed. The finest boarding schools in England and the constant disapproval of his father haven’t been able to curb any of his roguish passions—not for gambling halls, late nights spent with a bottle of spirits, or waking up in the arms of women or men.

But as Monty embarks on his Grand Tour of Europe, his quest for a life filled with pleasure and vice is in danger of coming to an end. Not only does his father expect him to take over the family’s estate upon his return, but Monty is also nursing an impossible crush on his best friend and traveling companion, Percy.

Still it isn’t in Monty’s nature to give up. Even with his younger sister, Felicity, in tow, he vows to make this yearlong escapade one last hedonistic hurrah and flirt with Percy from Paris to Rome. But when one of Monty’s reckless decisions turns their trip abroad into a harrowing manhunt that spans across Europe, it calls into question everything he knows, including his relationship with the boy he adores. 

Thoughts: This is one of those books that I was getting myself into without really knowing what it was about, only I'd seen it everywhere and was curious. It's cool that with being on Booktube I get exposed to a lot more books than I have been in a while, and this was one of them. Everyone was talking about, and while I never would have gone out of my way to purchase it, it was available as an audiobook copy from my library.

Let me tell you, it lived up to the hype. That doesn't always happen, especially when reading something out of your comfort zone right? Well, it's not like I'm uncomfortable with any LGBTQ+ representation, because I'm not, I'm just a little unfamiliar with it still. I've read very few books that have gay characters, so I am always a little weary because I am not sure what to expect. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Anyways, The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue follows our protagonist Monty who is embarking on his last year long tour through Europe with his best friend (who he's in love with) and his little sister (much to his dismay) before he must follow in his fathers footsteps and taking over the family state (which he's not thrilled about.) Things don't go according to plan, and the story derails into quite the adventure.

Monty is a great protagonist, lovable and frustrating, but funny and charming. He had me grinning with his antics, and shaking my head *face palm* with some of the stuff he put the gang into. But he has a good heart, and really, you can't help but care about him.

The story is unlike any other I've ever read either, from highway robberies to pirates, hidden treasures to romance, it has so much packed into that you can't help but have a good time reading it.  The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue was such a satisfying and fun read, that I am really glad I picked up and highly recommend it to everyone looking for a historical adventure that has so much to offer. Definitely one of my favorite reads of the year, without a doubt.


Post a Comment

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.