Feb 10, 2018

Review | Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Title: Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King
Series: N/A
Genre: Anthologies - Horror
Publication: November 9, 2010 by Scribner Book Company
Format: Audiobook
Source: Library
Rating: ★★★★

Synopsis: A new collection of four never-before-published stories from Stephen King.

1922: The story opens with the confession of Wilfred James to the murder of his wife, Arlette, following their move to Hemingford, Nebraska onto land willed to Arlette by her father.

Big Driver: Mystery writer, Tess, has been supplementing her writing income for years by doing speaking engagements with no problems. But following a last-minute invitation to a book club 60 miles away, she takes a shortcut home with dire consequences.

Fair Extension: Harry Streeter, who is suffering from cancer, decides to make a deal with the devil but, as always, there is a price to pay.

A Good Marriage: Darcy Anderson learns more about her husband of more than twenty years than she would have liked to know when she literally stumbles upon a box under a worktable in their garage.

Thoughts: I only picked this up to read 1922 because of the new movie adaptation on Netflix. I ended up reading all the stories and am glad I did, because I really enjoyed them.

1922
This was a pretty creepy story about a man who murders his wife in order to keep the land they live on and the aftermath of that murder. Its an interesting story, especially the turns it takes regarding his son and the ending left my skin crawling. There is some sort of paranormal type aspects, but otherwise, it's more of a simple kind of story.

Rating: ★★★★★

Big Driver
I didn't realize what this story is about, but there should be some trigger warnings for this one I believe. It is quite gruesome and mostly a story of revenge, but I found it a little disturbing and almost wish I would've skipped it.

Rating: ★★★

Fair Extension
This story was really short and I felt really unsatisfied with the way it ended, seeing as the "price to pay" didn't turn out that bad for the protagonist. I just found this one a little weird.

Rating: ★★★

A Good Marriage
I watched the movie adaptation and sort of remembered what this one was about, but still found it suspenseful and I was really worried about what the wife had discovered and how it would affect her life. I didn't really like the ending though, but I don't know why.

Rating: ★★★★

Overall I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed all the stories to some extent and appreciated the variety in them. I am really looking forward in checking out more of SK short stories.


Post a Comment

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.