Mar 19, 2019

Reviews | January 2019

I read 5 books in the month of January, but my goal was to read about 8 a month so I’m already behind on that. For the most part, it was an okay reading month. There wasn’t anything I really loved, although there was one book I enjoyed more than others, which was Bird Box. I started a few other books during January but I have yet to finish them.


Reviews

Dry Spell
by Vi Keeland

This was my first taste at a Vi Keeland book and while it was a cute, sexy read it was also too short. There was not enough sexy times, but I couldn’t really expect more from such a short read. I’m definitely looking forward to checking out a full Vi Keeland novel in the future.

Rating: ★★★


Bird Box 
by Josh Malerman

I heard of this one years ago and I meant to read it sooner but never had the chance to. Once the movie came out on Netflix and there was so much hype surrounding it, I felt motivated enough to finally pick it up. It’s definitely a mysterious story about a dystopian world where people must keep their eyes shut in order to survive because once they look at whatever is outside, they die.

The story was thrilling enough to keep me listening, but slow paced enough that I was never overwhelmed. It switches from past to present through alternating chapters and I was intrigued to learn more. Definitely a creepy thriller to keep you at the edge of your seat.

Rating: ★★★★


Jaded and Tyed (Forbidden Romance 2.5)
by Penelope Ward

While this could’ve been a good introduction to a new couple in the Forbidden Romance series, I couldn’t connect with it at all because one of the characters takes part in cheating on their partner and I was just not okay with it. Because of that, I really wasn’t enjoying the romance/relationship that was developed and felt like maybe this wasn’t a good place to start with Penelope Ward. I saw other reviews that mentioned this author usually does write books with cheating so I might just steer away from future Penelope Ward books.

Rating: ★★


Sharp Objects
by Gillian Flynn

I was expecting a little more because Gillian Flynn is such a popular author, but for the most part, I found Sharp Objects to be anticlimactic. The plot follows reporter, Camille, who returns to her hometown after years of being away to learn about murders taking place. As a protagonist, she felt unreliable and her actions are so disjointed, I felt this whole book did not flow well. I was able to figure out the mystery (or part of it), early on and kept going only to find out if I was right. There are no likeable characters, Camille isn’t that great of a person, and the whole mystery aspect was sort of pushed to the side and overrun by the family’s issues. I was pretty disappointed but am looking forward to watching the miniseries soon anyways.

Rating: ★★★


A Little Something Different 
by Sandy Hall

This is a cute story, and that’s about it. It takes place from 14 perspectives that are not the two main lovers being followed. The idea is unique, but the book itself was just okay. It’s cute, but not much else. I was hoping for a little more depth, although how much depth could I expect when some of the POV’s are from a squirrel and a bench? I can’t say I didn’t enjoy this, but it’s a very forgettable albeit adorable story.

Rating: ★★★★



And that’s it for my reviews in January! I hope you guys enjoy this new way of reviewing will be taking over individual reviews on my blog, unless I specifically review a book sent by the publisher and/or tour here on my blog. I’m looking forward to continuing my reviews and staying up to date with them going forward!

Post a Comment

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.