Jan 12, 2010

Review | Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.
But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

Thoughts: The first thing that attracted me to this book was the amazing-looking cover. Sure, everyone was saying this book was fantastic and all, but when I saw it at the bookstore I couldn't believe how great the cover was. And even though I wasn't planning to get it that day, my best friend decided to buy it for me so he could draw the cover.

To be honest, I was expecting more. I was expecting to be blown away by the story, the characters, by everything, because of the hype the book was getting. But it didn't live up to my expectations. Don't get me wrong, I thought the book was amazing and it definitely made my personal Top 10 of 2009 list, but still. I thought there was going to be more to it.

I loved the plot. The whole idea of fallen angels, immortals, and humans, that was good stuff. I really enjoyed the way the book started off, even though a tiny bit slow. I thought the whole story was unique, fast-paced and I could not put it down; I was done with it in record time.

The characters were great, I really enjoyed them all, even the bad guys :) I liked Nora's personality, I loved her best friend, Vee, and her mom was pretty awesome. I really loved Patch. I'm a sucker for cocky, mysterious, bad boys like him. He was just fun. And he's gorgeous too? I couldn't get enough of him.

The way the story kept twisting and turning and becoming more mysterious by the moment had me glued to the book until I was done with it. It had some great surprises and the ending tied up the loose ends, but still left few things unanswered, in a satisfying sort of way which will be great to start off the next installment.

Overall, I thought this was a fantastic debut novel. I loved the story, the ending, and the writing was great. I would definitely recommend this book :)

7 comments

  1. Everyone keeps telling me how great this book is. I definitely have to give it a go soon.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the book was great too. Vee was my least favorite though, I couldn't stand her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this book, but I agree with Adriana. Vee actually irritated me a good bit haha Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book! There is a lot of hype built up around this book, but I'm glad you still enjoyed it. Patch is just *swooons*. And I think I might be the only person that didn't mind Vee, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice thoughts on this one. I have to admit, this one feel short for me and a lot of it didn't seem that great but I will get Crescendo =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to read this one for a while, but I keep putting it off. Now I want to read it right away! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has been sitting on my reading shelf for quite some time, can't wait to get around to reading it!

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.