Jan 7, 2010

Review | The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong


Chloe Saunders sees dead people. Yes, like in the films. The problem is, in real life saying you see ghosts gets you a one-way ticket to the psych ward. And at 15, all Chloe wants to do is fit in at school and maybe get a boy to notice her.
But when a particularly violent ghost haunts her, she gets noticed for all the wrong reasons. Her seemingly crazed behavior earns her a trip to Lyle House, a center for 'disturbed teens'.
At first Chloe is determined to keep her head down. But then her roommate disappears after confessing she has a poltergeist, and some of the other patients also seem to be manifesting paranormal behavior.
Could that be a coincidence? Or is Lyle House not quite what it seems? Chloe realizes that if she doesn't uncover the truth, she could be destined for a lifetime in a psychiatric hospital. Or could her fate be even worse? Can she trust her fellow students, and does she dare reveal her dark secret?

Thoughts: Some of you might recall that a few weeks ago I wrote a post on audiobooks, and I claimed they weren't for me. The Summoning was my first audiobook, and at first I hated it. I thought I made a terrible mistake. But after a few chapters of the book, I couldn't stay away from listening to it. Maybe I got used to the narrators voice, or the book is that just that good, but I loved it.

This was a great book, the plot and characters amazing and introduced so well that you can't help but like them. I really enjoyed Chloe as a protagonist and I thought she was a great character with a wonderful personality. The other characters, especially Simon and Derek, are also great. The author's description of each one is fantastic. No complaints there.

The story is great, with mystery, action, adventure and suspense thrown in there. Along with a tiny bit of romance and lots of fantasy, this is one good book! I really can't express how much I enjoyed listening to this.

The ending is a cliff-hanger, and boy what a cliff-hanger it is! I can't believe it just ended there. It was great though, really. I immediately went to buy the second book in the series and I am so glad to have it and although I haven't started to read it, I will soon! I also plan to pick up the rest of Armstrong's adult novels because her writing is simply great. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes books about magical beings and all sorts of good stuff.

8 comments

  1. I adore Kelley Armstrong's books! I am just dying to get my hands on the last book in that trilogy as the second leaves us kind of hanging at the end too (although not as much as The Summoning did). The Women of the Otherworld series is really good too, although some of them are better than others lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks so good...my sister bought it for me and I keep forgetting I need to read it! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, another series I'll definitely have to start soon. It sounds so good. I've heard quite a lot of good things about this series too. So, yes, I'm positive I'm going to get it now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This series is really good. And yes, the cliff-hanger was intense!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this series! I can't wait for The Reckoning to come out!
    I tried an audio book once; the first Mortal Instruments. I had the same reaction as you. I hated it, then I loved it. It took a while, but the narrators voice became like my own thoughts, which was cool, but it threw me off for the next book. I ket hearing her as the characters, it was wierd. It wore off by the third book, but I don't think I'll be doing it again; at least, not for a series. Stand alones would be great, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only listened to an audio book once and I had the same type of reaction as you; hating it then loving it. Though, for some reason I haven't picked up another one. Anyway, great review! I adore this series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really loved these books! The whole idea is so amazing and original once you found out the full depth of it- her 'power' is seriously unique in YA fantasy.

    Not sure if you knew this but Armstrong has posted a novella of Derek and Simon's story and how they ended up at the house online. I admit I haven't yet read it since its online, but I am betting it is just as amazing as these books.

    http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/pdf_files/Dangerous.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also have this one sitting on m yreading shelf!

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.