Mar 16, 2010

Review | If I Stay by Gayle Forman

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

Thoughts: I heard it was heartbreaking, and it truly was. I knew what was going to happen, but somehow didn't expect it. I was aware that it was sad, but I didn't expect to cry. If I Stay is a completely unforgettable book, with a heart wrenching story that will have you glued to every page until it ends.

As soon as it began, I instantly felt connected to the story and its characters, the main reason being the beautiful narration of the author. While reading I could actually understand what Mia was feeling when going out with Adam, her nervousness before playing her cello in front of experts, having a great time with her parents and little brother and finally seeing all this change right in front of her eyes.

The narration moves between past and present, in flashbacks and giving much more depth to the characters which helps us to understand everyone better. It is a simple story told in such an extraordinary way that I couldn't help but love it.

A book about understanding the value of family, love, friendship, and loss, I would highly recommend this to anyone.






Favorite Line: "I can lose you like that if I don't lose you today. I'll let you go. If you stay."





This book was provided by the local library.

9 comments

  1. So glad to hear this was as good as expected! I've gotta read this one ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A connection? I LOVE that. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good!
    And the trailer is super interesting. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you on this one. I knew what would happen but when it did I was stunned. The detail was amazing and perfect.. and it was so beautifully written. I'm excited there's a sequel, set in Adam's POV. I can't wait to see what's next for him after all this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great line. I DEFINITELY have to read this one, ahh! And thank you for the great review; it sounds so touching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many positive reviews that I cannot wait to read this one. Love the cover too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I've heard such great things about this book, I didn't know if I could handle the sadness - I've got enough sad books coming up. However, hearing that it's so wonderfully written really makes me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it sounds amazing! I have to read this now : ) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked how you described your feelings in the first para of the review. Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.