Mar 19, 2010

Review | Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

Title: Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen
Series: N/A
Genre: Young Adult - Contemporary
Publication: April 22, 2008 by Viking's Children's Books
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
Rating: ★★★

Synopsis: Ruby is used to taking care of herself. But now she's living in a fancy new house with her sister Cora, a sister she hasn't seen in ten years and her husband Jamie creator of one of the most popular online networking sites. She's attending private school, wearing new clothes, and for the first time, feels the promise of a future that include college and her family. So why is she so wary? And what is Nate the adorable and good-hearted boy next door hiding behind his genial nature? As Ruby starts to see, there's a big difference between being given help, and being able to accept it. And sometimes, in order to save yourself, you've got to reach out to someone else.

Thoughts: I know that there are many readers out there who love Sarah Dessen, and this is the third book I've read of hers and still don't really get it. The first one I read, I really enjoyed, but the second and this one were sort of eh.

I had a hard time really "getting into" the story, not too sure why? Maybe it was because I didn't feel like I understood Ruby. So it actually took me a few weeks to even finish it. I felt like the story sort of dragged on a bit and it was maybe longer than necessary.

There were some great moments though, don't get me wrong, but they were sort of pretty far apart in my opinion and didn't seem to add depth to the story. I was really looking forward to something really good, and although Dessen once again faces a tough issue in a remarkable way, I really don't see how this book would stand out much.

I must admit I really enjoy the topics she writes about, and most of her characters are enjoyable, but something about the way she delivers just doesn't catch my attention. But I won't give up and I will give the rest of her books a shot :)

3 comments

  1. I've only read one book by Sarah... it was enjoyable enough but I see what you mean about there being a bit of a barrier there to keep you from getting pulled in. I read Dreamland though, and kind of figured it had something to do with the fact that the MC was drifting, so I felt like it but... who knows. =) Nice review though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that your the only person so far that didn't LOVE the books written by this author. I never tried any books, but they look and sound great. Thank you for your honest opinion! :)

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.