Jun 27, 2011

Review | Hotel No Tell by Daphne Uviller

Title: Hotel No Tell: A Novel
Series: Zephyr Zuckerman Series
Author: Daphne Uviller
Genre: Fiction - Mystery
Publication: 04.26.2011 by Bantam
Pages: 288
Source: From publisher for review

Summary: The smart and sassy detective Zephyr Zuckerman is now armed and undercover in a Greenwich Village hotel where mysteries—from garbage-grabbing guests to the reservation system—lurk around every corner.

Now working as a junior detective with the New York City Special Investigations Commission, Zephyr’s gone incognito as a concierge to find out who laundered a hundred grand off the hotel books—and why. But the discovery of a prone, flush-faced guest gasping for air in room 502 only hints at the sinister goings-on inside this funky establishment. While the rapid response of the fire department leads to a sweaty date with a smooth-talking, rock-climbing rescue worker, Zephyr finds herself even more hot and bothered by an attempted murder on her watch. Could the smart-mouthed Japanese yenta across the hall know more than she’s telling? How are cryptic phone calls from a mysterious corporation linked to the victim in 502?

Under pressure and overwhelmed, Zephyr soon finds that a concierge cover is no protection in a place where crime, like the city itself, never sleeps
Cover: Simple, but I like it a lot :)

Thoughts: This was one of those books that I sort of hesitated on, almost didn't accept for review and then decided to go for it and cannot regret it. I was unaware that Zephyr Zuckerman was a character in Uviller's previous book Super in the City, so this can easily be called the second in the "series." I was still able to pick it up and enjoy it because there was not enough connection (I think) to the first one to leave me feeling as if I was missing some information.

Zephyr Zuckerman has just gotten a great opportunity to go undercover as a concierge in a hotel where a hundred grand has gone missing and an attempted murder takes place. Not only is she dealing with that, but she just ended her long-term relationship, has a chance at a new love and must help her good friends as they struggle through their troubles. We are thrown in to quite a mystery and when things start to spiral out of control, Zephyr and her adventure only gets better.

Zephyr is definitely a new favorite character. She's a sassy and witty lady that I instantly liked and she had me laughing out loud with her interesting ideas. Her friends are awesome, and even though at times a bit strange, they definitely add a whole lot to the story. There is also other fun characters like her boss Pippa, her ex-boyfriend Gregory, her new guy friend Delta, and her family. I really enjoyed learning about each character and the way they were part of Zephyr's life.

I love mysteries, even though I haven't read too many, and this one kept me pretty interested the entire time. There were a few points in which I wasn't too sure what the heck Zephyr was doing, but her little adventures made the story all that better. I wasn't able to figure out the ending beforehand, and was surprised on how it ended. The ending sort of wrapped up nicely, but still left some questions that might be answered in another Zephyr Zuckerman novel.

Overall, I really enjoyed the Hotel No Tell. I found it fun and very interesting, full of humour and sometimes some quite touching moments that only made me like it more. Definitely full of some wonderful characters that I want to see more of in future books. I recommend this to everyone who would like a fun, quick mystery with a little romance and friendship thrown in. I can't wait to read the first one, Super in the City, since I've heard only good things about it as well.
Quote: "You do not understand the bad luck I attract. You should leave now before a meteorite crashes through these windows and takes you to your maker."






1 comment

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.