Oct 15, 2011

Review | Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Genre: YA - Contemporary/Romance
Pages: 372
Publication: 12.02.2010 by Dutton
Source: Library

Summary: Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.


As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?

Cover: Hmmm, I like most of it except that we can see "Anna." I sort of wish her face wasn't visible like the guy's face.

Thoughts: I wasn't too sure what to expect when I picked up Anna and the French Kiss. Other bloggers kept gushing about it and I knew I had to find out what all the hype was about. And now I must also gush about it because, not only was I quickly pulled into Anna's story, but I fell head over heels in love with the book. It was sweet, emotional, funny and so much more.

Anna has just moved to Paris to finish her senior year in high school. This might sound like something totally awesome to some of us, but not for Anna. Not only does she have to leave behind her mom, best friend and almost-something-crush, but she doesn't speak a bit of French. Anna is sure she's going to be miserable. And with that attitude, I couldn't help but connect and like her instantly. I mean, what 17 year old girl wants to leave behind everyone she knows, her bff and potential romance to go to a country where she'll be totally alone? I know I wouldn't. Anna's reaction is totally understandable and her feelings so realistic that she makes a great protagonist that all chica's out there can relate to.

Once the idea finally sinks in that she's here to stay for the year (the gorgeous and super friendly-to-her St. Clair helps out there,) Anna makes a group of friends that were also very likable. I loved the way they interacted with one another and the way they stayed together reminded me of friendships I had in high school. They were very real to me and I totally connected with them a whole lot more than what I expected.

The romance between Anna and St. Clair was simply adorable. Sure, St. Clair had a girlfriend and Anna was sort of interested in Toph back home, so not much ever really happens...but the build up was great. I mean, the entire time I was hoping for something to happen. And it all gets so complicated and frustrating, and all I could think was "Are they even going to end up together?!" It was so intense I felt I was going to die but yet very simple and sweet that I couldn't help but love it. And yes, I loved St. Clair. He is not perfect, but he's so unique, nice, totally hot and now a favorite of mine ♥

I was already dying to go  to Paris before I read this, but now...I am still dying to go there! Perkins described everything so well I could almost see it and smell it. It sounds amazing!

I definitely recommend Anna and the French Kiss. It is a fun, sweet and totally something you can relate to. I couldn't put it down! It made laugh, cry, blush and squeal in excitement. Perkins writing is incredible and she is now one of my favorite author's. I cannot wait to read more of her books and if you have not read this one, you must! It is an unforgettable book that you do not want to miss out on :)
Favorite Quote: “I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.”


2 comments

  1. Oh yay, that's an awesome review! I loved ANNA so so much and also LOLA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, um, I just have a suggestion. Can you put the text font for the reviews a little bigger? Like for example, as the same size as the one you used in the quote for this review. I want to read the review but it's hard to read.

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.