Sep 12, 2013

Review | Ghost Hand by Ripley Patton

Ghost Hand by Ripley Patton
Series: The PSS Chronicles #1
Genre: YA - Paranormal Thriller
Publication: 12.11.12
Format: E-Book
Source: Bought
Rating: ★★★★★
Seventeen-year-old Olivia Black has a rare birth defect known as Psyche Sans Soma, or PSS. Instead of a right hand made of flesh and blood, she was born with a hand made of ethereal energy.

How does Olivia handle being the girl with the ghost hand? Well, she's a little bit morbid and a whole lot snarky.

Her mother thinks her obsession with death, black clothing, and the local cemetery is a bid for attention. But when Marcus, the new guy in Olivia's calculus class, stares at her like she's a freak, Olivia doesn't like it. And when her hand goes rogue, doing things she never imagined possible, Olivia finds herself running for her life with Marcus from a group of men bent on taking the power of her hand for their own nefarious purposes.

Ghost Hand provides what I look for in paranormal books: a unique main character that is snarky, smart and can kick ass, a unique paranormal gift, some romance but not too overwhelming (although I don’t mind overwhelming romance all that much *sigh*,) action, suspense and a great supporting cast. This was a freebie I got off of Amazon for no particular reason, and the only book I had downloaded on my Kindle app. So when I was on a plane flight, done with all my physical books, and only my iPad on hand, I turned to this. And Ghost Hand pretty much blew me away. I don’t know what I was expecting, but it was definitely not to enjoy this as much as I did.

From the start, we are introduced to Olivia and her “birth defect” (aka: an awesomely creepy ghost hand that does weird stuff that is awesome) and we are immediately thrown into the story. Loved that. The story after immediately gets moving with a creepy accident, some interesting actions, chase scenes and some rolling around with a strange hot guy (not that kind of rolling around though) and I was hooked! I could not put this down.

I really loved Olivia as a protagonist, the writing was great, the story was well paced, and there were great dynamics in the story. This is one of those books that if I talk too much about it, I may give something important away. All I can say is that thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to Ghost Hold, which will be released on September 30th!

★★★★★

3 comments

  1. A hand made up of ethereal energy? Creepy! I'm intrigued and I love it when some books take you by complete surprise and you end up loving them. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I love it too, especially when you least expect it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, so glad you loved Ghost Hand and I LURVED the fashion feature you did for Olivia Black, especially that coffin-shaped backpack. I shared that post in all my favorite places. Hope you've had a chance to grab Ghost Hold by now:) What do you think Passion would be wearing??

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.