Jun 18, 2014

Review | Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

I'm not even sure if I was expecting Mockingjay to be any good because I loved The Hunger Games and Catching Fire so much. But I know I wasn't expecting to be so disappointed either. The first two books gave me all the feels and I expected no less from the third. While there were some parts that were redeeming, for the most part, I didn't like Mockingjay.

The best thing about the first books, for me, were the characters. I loved Katniss and fell in love with the boy with the bread, Peeta, with her. I adored her sister Prim and wanted nothing more than to run away with Gale, but Mockingjay was different. While we spend a considerable more time with the main people in her life, I didn't love them the same way.

Maybe the author's writing changed, or maybe because the setting was so different from the first two or maybe it was because Katniss was such a weak character in the third book, but my love for the characters was altered and I just read the book to finish it. It took me a lot longer than the others to get through too. But once I was done, I tossed it to the side and thought "Well that sucked," and moved on to the next book.

So unfortunately my love for The Hunger Games ended there. I still love the first two books but I have to think of them separately from the third which is lame.

2 comments

  1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one that didn't like Mockingjay. I'm not sure if it was the characters, but everything in Mockingjay felt too rush to me. Are you going to be watching the Mockingjay movie when it comes out despite you not liking the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm.. I actually really enjoyed Mockingjay, but I understand how you might see it as a disappointment... the characters really did change, but I kind of expected them to after all the tragedy they've been through :( Great honest review!

    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.