Jan 7, 2015

Review | The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Omg, a review, finally! Sort of. It's been so long that I've written my actual thoughts on a book that I am quite rusty and it's been such a long while that I actually read this book (almost a whole year!) that this will probably be pretty terrible anyways. So let me just ramble a bit while I get the hang of things again.

The main reason why I picked up The Perks of Being a Wallflower was because my brother adores the movie. Like any pesky brother, he continued to bug me about the movie long after he'd seen it, because he wanted me to watch it with him. Really, desperately needed me to see it. My mom watched it with him also, and adored it as well. I'd heard of the book, and it has great rave reviews but it never truly caught my interest. But of course, being the book nerd that I am, I had to read the book before watching this movie and since I was tired of my brother annoying me each time we were going to watch a movie by suggesting (read: pestering) that we should watch TPofBaW, I finally decided to give it a try.

Surprisingly, I finished it quickly. I can be a terribly slow reader and maybe I only finished it fast because I sort of was being pushed and shoved to read it (I do believe I work best under pressure, but that could also be my procrastinating ways talking)...where was I? Oh yes, I finished it pretty fast, at my reading rate. And what did I think of it? I mean it was good, but it wasn't...fantastic. At least not to me. I guess with books that are so hyped up like this one it's difficult to not expect the best. And sometimes when you expect something so great, you're left disappointed. Which was kind of how this worked out for me.

I liked Charlie, that's probably the best thing I'll be able to say about this book at the moment (with my bad memory and all,) and I felt for the kid you know? But I didn't feel for him. I liked the characters and some parts were sad, and the writing was unique, but again...this book was sort of forgettable for me. Some books stick with you, and that's what makes them amazing. This one, not so much.




And what about the movie? I think I liked it more. That doesn't usually happen to us book lovers right? But in the rare cases that it does, I think it's because the story is compressed and told at a faster rate, and just left with the main points. Sometimes that's just necessary with some books. Very rarely though.

Post a Comment

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.