Sep 28, 2017

Quick Reviews #7 | Love & Gelato by Jenna E Welch // Dark Horses by Cecily von Ziegesar



NOTE → This is a quick set of reviews on books I read some time ago, in attempts to catch up on reviews. I do not have a star rating for these reviews, but I do try to express how I felt about the book. This is a feature I am bringing back and will be regularly used to share my thoughts on books.


Love & Gelato by Jenna E Welch

Synopsis: Lina is spending the summer in Tuscany, but she isn’t in the mood for Italy’s famous sunshine and fairy-tale landscape. She’s only there because it was her mother’s dying wish that she get to know her father. But what kind of father isn’t around for sixteen years? All Lina wants to do is get back home.

But then she is given a journal that her mom had kept when she lived in Italy. Suddenly Lina’s uncovering a magical world of secret romances, art, and hidden bakeries. A world that inspires Lina, along with the ever-so-charming Ren, to follow in her mother’s footsteps and unearth a secret that has been kept for far too long. It’s a secret that will change everything she knew about her mother, her father—and even herself.

People come to Italy for love and gelato, someone tells her, but sometimes they discover much more.


Quick Thoughts:
This is one of those books that I got because I loved the cover. It also sounded really cute. It was, in short, predictable and a bit boring. I was able to predict all the small twists in the plot, and while I normally enjoy contemporary romances such as this one, I was overall disappointed in how meh I found this one. The premise sounded really unique, for the most part, but again it was just a predictable teen book.


Dark Horses by Cecily von Ziegesar

Synopsis: Merritt Wenner has been self-destructing ever since the tragic deaths of her grandmother and her horse, and after an epic all-night bender she walks out of the SAT and disappears. Her parents, looking for a quick fix, ship her off to a residential equine therapy program.

At Good Fences, Merritt meets Red—a failed racehorse and a terror in the barn. Red has never bonded with anyone, but Merritt is not afraid of him, which makes all the difference. Soon they’re sneaking rides after curfew, which catches the attention of Red’s owner. Recognizing their potential, he funds their launch into the competitive hunter/jumper circuit.

Against the cutthroat backdrop of competitive riding, Merritt and their groom, Beatrice, develop an attraction. Merritt also finds herself drawn to Carvin, a rival rider. But in Red’s mind, Merritt belongs to him alone. Anyone else poses a threat. And Merritt can’t foresee what he’ll do to keep her to himself.


Quick Thoughts: Dark Horses is slow-paced for a thriller, and not much exciting or deadly I guess, really happens. The characters aren't exactly likable, and while I enjoyed the POV's it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. It is another predictable read, which a rushed ending that left me feeling unsatisfied.

Video Review

Post a Comment

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.