Nov 23, 2017

Review | Dead Little Mean Girl by Eva Darrows


Title: Dead Little Mean Girl by Eva Darrows
Series: N/A
Genre: YA - Contemporary
Publication: March 28, 2017 by Harlequin Teen
Format: Audiobook
Source: Library
Rating: ★★★

Synopsis:  A proud geek girl, Emma loves her quiet life on the outskirts, playing video games and staying off the radar. When her nightmare of a new stepsister moves into the bedroom next door, her world is turned upside down. Quinn is a queen bee with a nasty streak who destroys anyone who gets in her way. Teachers, football players, her fellow cheerleaders—no one is safe.

Emma wants nothing more than to get this girl out of her life, but when Quinn dies suddenly, Emma realizes there was more to her stepsister than anyone ever realized.


Thoughts: This was a book I enjoyed mostly all the way through and then felt a little meh at the end. From the title and the synopsis, it's easy to guess how its going to end. I just felt like the conclusion was weak and that sort of changed how I felt about the book towards the end.

Emma and Quinn get off on the wrong foot and their rocky relationship disrupts their family life. Emma is willing to get along with Quinn, but she's a real mean girl if I ever saw one. I was intrigued with their family dynamic, the easy pacing of the story, and thought Emma was a likable character (and Quinn a very easy to hate character).

We never really understand why Quinn is so mean, other than she's spoiled and not used to having her life being disrupted the way it was when her parents separated and moved on with their partners. It's easy to hate her, but that's about it, and the story lacked a little from that. I thorughly enjoyed the first half book of the book, as we learn about the characters and see their story form, but again the conclusion felt weaker than the rest.

I originally gave this book a four out of five stars, but at this point in time I think I have to drop the rating down to three stars. I can't deny that I enjoyed it and wanted to keep reading it, but I loved it less than I originally expected and felt unsatisfied with the ending.


Post a Comment

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.