Nov 22, 2017

Review | The Sun is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon


Title: The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
Series: N/A
Genre: YA - Contemporary
Publication: November 1, 2016 by Delacorte Press
Format: ARC
Source: Books for Trade
Rating: ★★★★★

Synopsis: Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true? 

Thoughts: I still haven't gotten around to reading Yoon's first book, but decided to pick up The Sun is Also a Star because I got an ARC copy for trade, it fit under a readathon I was participating in (I think) and it was getting a lot of praise. The Sun is Also A Star was such a lovely book, about falling in love in one day (yes, I know it's unrealistic) where the guy is the hopeless romantic and the girl isn't exactly keen on falling in love.

Natasha and Daniel accidentally meet in a music store, and after a bit of hesitation (on Natasha's side) spend the day together. The first problem isn't that Natasha doesn't believe in love, it's that she's going to be deported that day and is trying to find a way not to be. Daniel becomes to determined to help her, and also, to make her fall in love with him.

There's not much I can say about this one, other than what a sweet story it is, with fun adventures, a mostly unlikely plot, but with characters that you can't help but adore. It was exactly what I was looking for in a summer contemporary and probably why I loved it so much.


Post a Comment

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.