Nov 15, 2017

Review | History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera


Title: History is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera
Series: N/A
Genre: YA - Contemporary
Publication: January 17, 2017 by Soho Teen
Format: Hardcover
Source: Purchased
Rating: ★★★

Synopsis: When Griffin's first love and ex-boyfriend, Theo, dies in a drowning accident, his universe implodes. Even though Theo had moved to California for college and started seeing Jackson, Griffin never doubted Theo would come back to him when the time was right. But now, the future he's been imagining for himself has gone far off course. 

To make things worse, the only person who truly understands his heartache is Jackson. But no matter how much they open up to each other, Griffin's downward spiral continues. He's losing himself in his obsessive compulsions and destructive choices, and the secrets he's been keeping are tearing him apart. 

If Griffin is ever to rebuild his future, he must first confront his history, every last heartbreaking piece in the puzzle of his life.

Thoughts: History is All You Left Me was one of those books I'd been looking forward to because I was expecting it to make me feel. I expected to really feel something for this one but was a little disappointed in the lack of connection I felt with the main character, Griffin, despite the pain he was going through from losing his best friend/ex-boyfriend in a drowning accident. Because I have experienced something similar, I really expected to cry my eyes out but didn't. I found myself detached with the story as a whole, and was really reading it because I was buddy reading it, but also because all the hype surrounding it kept assuring me I would love it.

The friendships in the book were the redeeming quality, and because the story was told in both past and present view points, I looked forward to seeing the friendship between Theo and Griffin formed, as well as their third best friend, Wade. We don't see as much of Wade until the end, and I was really able to appreciate his character because of everything he went through as well. I wish his importance would've been brought to light from the beginning, but instead was saved to cause a dramatic/revealing secret at the end, and I suppose that was fine.

I can't say I was completely disappointed in this one, but I was expecting a little more. It can be a quick read, that most people have enjoyed. I had the pleasure of meeting the author, and hearing him talk about the book and writing process, so that was enjoyable in itself. I wish this would've been more for me, but I think I will give Silvera another shot in the future, and see how I feel about his writing at a later date.




Video Review:

Post a Comment

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.