Nov 16, 2017

Series Review | The 100 #1, #2, #3 by Kass Morgan




Title: The 100 by Kass Morgan
Series: The 100, #1
Genre: YA - Science Fiction/Dystopia
Publication: September 3, 2013 by Little, Brown and Company
Format: Audiobook
Source: Library
Rating: ★★★★

Synopsis: Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents -- considered expendable by society -- are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life...or it could be a suicide mission.

CLARKE was arrested for treason, though she's haunted by the memory of what she really did. WELLS, the chancellor's son, came to Earth for the girl he loves -- but will she ever forgive him? Reckless BELLAMY fought his way onto the transport pod to protect his sister, the other half of the only pair of siblings in the universe. And GLASS managed to escape back onto the ship, only to find that life there is just as dangerous as she feared it would be on Earth.

Confronted with a savage land and haunted by secrets from their pasts, the hundred must fight to survive. They were never meant to be heroes, but they may be mankind's last hope.

Thoughts: This was a fast-paced wild ride of a book and I really liked it. I listened to this audiobook for no particular reason, but found myself completely immersed in all the characters and their stories. The book is told from several points of view (four I think?) and each one was fascinating and unique and captivating.

From the synopsis we know that 100 delinquents are sent on a ship back to Earth in order to recolonize the planet. The story explodes from the beginning with action and we are thrown into a whirlwind of events that the characters must survive through. Not only that, but we are also told past events in order to understand their pasts a little better, and find out how their lives interweave.

There was no particular character that I liked best, although some of the actions of a few were sometimes frustrating (*cough* Glass *cough*) but it's expected and I guess makes sense because of their situation.

I was really pulled into the story and was fascinated by all that was happening. Of course, there's a bit of a dramatic ending which made me want to read the next book immediately.

Possible Spoilers Ahead

Title: Day 21 by Kass Morgan
Series: The 100, #2
Genre: YA - Science Fiction/Dystopia
Publication:  September 16, 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Format: Audiobook
Source: Library
Rating: ★★★

Synopsis: It's been 21 days since the hundred landed on Earth. They're the only humans to set foot on the planet in centuries...or so they thought. Facing an unknown enemy, Wells attempts to keep the group together. Clarke strikes out for Mount Weather, in search of other Colonists, while Bellamy is determined to rescue his sister, no matter the cost. And back on the ship, Glass faces an unthinkable choice between the love of her life and life itself.

In this pulse-pounding sequel to Kass Morgan's The 100, secrets are revealed, beliefs are challenged, and relationships are tested. And the hundred will struggle to survive the only way they can -- together.

Thoughts: This second book picks up pretty much immediately after the first, which was good and all, but I felt didn't add much more to the story. A lot happens in this book, but I felt like there was no real movement forward in the story you know? I mean it was still a lot of fun, because like the first book, it was action packed. We get more information on the characters and their pasts, but ultimately this one felt like a filler for the next one.

Title: Homecoming by Kass Morgan
Series: The 100, #3
Genre: YA - Science Fiction/Dystopia
Publication:  February 24, 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Format: Audiobook
Source: Library
Rating: ★★★

Synopsis: Weeks after landing on Earth, the Hundred have managed to create a sense of order amidst their wild, chaotic surroundings. But their delicate balance comes crashing down with the arrival of new dropships from space.

These new arrivals are the lucky ones—back on the Colony, the oxygen is almost gone—but after making it safely to Earth, GLASS’s luck seems to be running out. CLARKE leads a rescue party to the crash site, ready to treat the wounded, but she can’t stop thinking about her parents, who may still be alive. Meanwhile, WELLS struggles to maintain his authority despite the presence of the Vice Chancellor and his armed guards, and BELLAMY must decide whether to face or flee the crimes he thought he’d left behind.

It’s time for the Hundred to come together and fight for the freedom they’ve found on Earth, or risk losing everything—and everyone—they love. 

Thoughts: There are a ton of mixed reviews of this series, especially with there being a show now, which I think I will start watching once I finish this review. In all honesty, there’s not much I can say about this third book. I felt that once everyone got off the ship and to Earth, the book sort of became predictable and cliché. There’s an evil leader and someone stands up to him, and a rebellion, and people die. Don’t forget about the star-crossed lovers who may or may not make it and that’s it.

I thought this one was okay, I liked it but didn’t feel it was better or more enjoyable than the other two. I felt that too many things were left up in the air and then I found out that instead of a trilogy, there’s another book after this and to be honest, I didn’t really care. When I first started this series, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on the next book because I had really enjoyed the first one; but after more of the same, I’m okay with not continuing it. Which is why this series review of mine is for only the first three books and not the entire series.

The show has gotten a lot of praise on Goodreads, especially when compared to the books, so like I said I think I will give it a shot shortly after I’m done with this. Maybe I’ll come back and share my thoughts on that in the future. As for the series, it was good while it lasted. The first book is awesome fun, and leaves you wanting more, but the second and third book don’t really fulfill that need for a conclusion. I did enjoy it for the most part, but it wasn’t a series I would want to finish or read again. 

Overall Rating:

Post a Comment

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.