May 12, 2020

Review | Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter


Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter |⭐⭐⭐

Summary: Twenty years ago Claire Scott's eldest sister, Julia, went missing. No one knew where she went - no note, no body. It was a mystery that was never solved and it tore her family apart.

Now another girl has disappeared, with chilling echoes of the past. And it seems that she might not be the only one.

Claire is convinced Julia's disappearance is linked.

But when she begins to learn the truth about her sister, she is confronted with a shocking discovery, and nothing will ever be the same...


Thoughts: This was my first Karin Slaughter book and I picked it up because my book club had a 48 hour Slaughterathon to participate in and I was super excited because I'd heard great things about this author. It was a little difficult for me to get into the story, not because it had a slow start, but because of the changing point of views. The beginning starts off with a bang, and I wasn't really expecting to have a hard time reading the book but after the first initial scene that starts off Claire's story, I really didn't get that much into the story. Again, I think it was the alternating points of view that sort of threw me off at first.

This book follows sisters Claire and Lydia who haven't spoken in years but are brought together by a sudden tragedy. Claire is discovering more secrets than she ever expected to find, and is finding out more about a killer who is a on the loose. We alternate between the two sisters and their lives as they try and solve the mystery of their sister's disappearance and the present day murderer that's nearby. While the plot is intriguing, I found neither main character to be likeable and I just didn't really care for either them.

I found the book dragged on too much, had too much details where it wasn't needed and could've been cut down about 100 pages or so. I was entertained for plenty of it, but I was bored for more than I expected to be as well. There were a lot of gruesome scenes that were difficult for some readers to get through, and I can see why, but they weren't as frequent to bother me as much. There wasn't much that was thrilling, since we find out from the beginning who the killer is.

Overall, this was something I liked but I felt so unsatisfied with how it was wrapped up that I feel a little iffy to read something by this author in the future. I might give the author another shot, but maybe not anytime soon.

Post a Comment

© oodles of books. Design by Soleilflare.